Online Bingo Canada
Bingo has a global following, and Canada is one of the countries where this game is particularly popular. There is a wide selection of bingo clubs and bingo halls spread across the country; however, the game is also proving a massive hit with online players.
The convenience of playing online bingo when it suits you; the plethora of bonuses and promotions, and the chance to win thousands of dollars playing jackpot bingo are just a few of the reasons why this game has boomed in Canada.
ComeOn! has compiled this guide for players who are new to bingo online. We explain the different game types, the best bonuses - including free bingo - and how to play online. Furthermore, our expert team offers advice on what you should look for when choosing a new bingo site, and we share some tips that may help you win at bingo more often.
Popular Online Bingo Games
The best bingo sites offer numerous bingo games. These are hosted in themed bingo rooms. As a newcomer, this can be a little overwhelming, but don’t fear, ComeOn! has your back. Let’s start by introducing the most popular types of online games.
In many purists' eyes, 90-ball bingo is the classic game. The 90-ball bingo card has three lines (rows) and nine columns. Each line has five numbers, so the card has a total of fifteen numbers on it. The remaining gaps are merely empty spots.
Note: some games allow you to buy single tickets, but others require you to purchase at least one ‘strip’. This is a book of six tickets which uses all of the numbers from 1 to 90.
When the game begins, the caller says the numbers as they are drawn. You must then mark the called numbers off of your bingo cards. Alternatively, there is an auto-daub feature that does it for you.
Most 90-ball bingo games offer three payouts, with each having its own prize.
- Any 1 line - crossing off all five numbers from a single row.
- Any 2 lines - crossing off all ten numbers from two rows.
- Full house - Bingo! Crossing off all fifteen numbers on your bingo card.
For standard games, the prize pool is determined by the cost per ticket and how many tickets were sold. You are able to check the payouts before buying your tickets. There are other 90-ball games with guaranteed jackpots. In these instances, the bingo site operator will pre-fund the kitty.
While 90-ball is the UK’s favourite, 75-ball bingo is more popular in North America. The objective of the game is essentially the same, but there are a few differences to take note of. Firstly, a 75-ball bingo card has five lines (rows) and five columns. It is filled with 24 numbers ranging from 1 to 75 - the centre square is generally labelled as ‘Free’. However, there are variations to this in which the centre also has a number in it.
You’ll find many different winning patterns with 75-ball bingo. You can win by crossing off lines, or specific shapes, such as a heart or a star. Plus, there are coverall games, which are also called ‘blackouts’, where you need to mark all the numbers off.
Once again, the prizes are usually determined by the bingo card value and the number of players.
Progressive Jackpot Bingo
Progressive jackpot bingo is where the big money can be won. These will usually be 90-ball, 80-ball or 75-ball bingo. Jackpot bingo games are no different from the standard variants. The rules will be the same, and you can win prizes for crossing off lines or completing a coverall.
However, a small percentage of the bingo ticket price is put into a progressive jackpot bingo pot. To win this jackpot, you will need to get a full house (coverall) within a certain number of calls. For instance, if playing 75-ball, you need to coverall your ticket within 35 calls. The lower the number of calls, the larger the jackpots grow because they are more difficult to win.
An interesting twist on these games is shared progressive jackpot bingo. With these events, all the players with tickets get a share of the jackpot if it is won. The player who won it gets the most, but the others get a small slice.
How to Play Bingo Online
Although the bingo cards, and the ways to win, vary between games, the process of how to play bingo online is straightforward. Follow the steps given below, and you’ll be joining your first game within minutes.
- Choose a top-rated online bingo site and create your account. There are sites that offer free bingo no deposit. However, if you don’t have one of these deals, you’ll need to make a deposit. Tip! Check below for our tips for picking a bingo platform.
- Browse through the bingo rooms to find a game you want to play. Click on the room. All the details regarding the cost per ticket, the minimum and maximum number of tickets you can buy, and how many players are already involved will be displayed. Proceed with buying your tickets.
- Online bingo games use a random number generator to draw the balls, while a digital host will call the numbers. You can manually check the numbers from your cards, or let the computer software auto-daub them for you.
- During most games, you can text chat with other players. The social element is a major factor in bingo, and online sites have tried to retain that.
- When you, or any other player, gets a winning line, a payout is made. The game continues until someone gets a full house or blackout (depending on the game you are playing).
- The final payouts are made, and any winnings are put into your account. The room closes, and you are taken back to the lobby to find a new game.
Bingo Bonus Offers
From welcome bonuses to free online bingo to shopping vouchers, you can find a wealth of bingo bonus offers when playing online. Here’s an overview to whet your appetite.
New Customer Bonuses
Some new bingo sites may offer a no deposit bonus to entice you in. However, a more typical new customer offer would be to deposit and play $10 and get $40 in free bingo tickets. Also, you get access to a newbie room where you can play free bingo for a specified number of days. Most of these games only have $10 or $20 prize funds, but it’s still a great introduction to playing bingo online.
What you need to check is the wagering requirements on the bonus funds. The lower, the better as it means you have more chance of making a profit from the bonus. Take time to compare offers to find the best deal.
This type of free bingo is for existing customers. Many sites offer daily free bingo games, and sometimes the jackpots are $1000 or more! There will be some form of entry requirement to join these online bingo games, however. Commonly, they will only be available to players who have made a real money deposit within the previous 7 or 14 days.
This is quite fair because otherwise, players would sign-up and simply play for free all the time. Also, by restricting who can join means, you have a better chance of winning.
When playing online, it only takes a few minutes to leave one bingo website and join another. To prevent this from happening, operators offer a wide range of loyalty programs and bonuses.
From weekly free games, access to exclusive VIP rooms, birthday gifts, and more, your loyalty is well rewarded. There are even refer a friend bonuses, where you can pick up loads of bingo tickets just for getting your mates to join.
Bingo and Casino
Bingo online is more than just bingo. You can also play some stellar online casino games. This gives you even more gaming options at your fingertips. If you want to try your luck on progressive jackpot video slots or play roulette or blackjack, everything is available.
There are also plenty of crossover promos waiting to be snapped up. For example, if you spend $20 on bingo tickets, you get 20 free spins in the casino on one of its slot machines. It’s a great way to try something different without spending any extra money.
Choosing the Best Bingo platform
As a beginner, choosing where to play is a big decision. It is easy to be swayed purely by the sign-up offer, but you need to look deeper. We understand all players are unique, and they have different preferences. Therefore, we’ve created a list of points you should consider to ensure that you find the best bingo site for you.
- Licensed and regulated - Above anything else, you want to join a reputable site that is licensed and regulated. This will ensure its games are audited and fair. In addition, it will have high standards of security.
- Fair bonuses - Large bonuses definitely attract attention but do they offer the best value? For instance, bonus A might be $100 of free tickets with 8x wagering, while bonus B is $20 of free tickets with 1x wagering. From these offers, you stand more chance of winning some free money with the second offer even though the bonus value is less.
- Game options - Some sites have more progressive jackpot bingo games than others, so consider the games you’re most likely to play. Furthermore, align the games with your budget. If you only want to play for casual fun, sites with lots of 5c and 10c games may be more suited to your style.
- Fast payouts - You want your winnings as fast as possible, but there are sites that still drag their feet a little. Before choosing a new bingo site, take a look at the payout times to find a place you’re happy with.
- Good customer service - When playing at your local bingo hall, it’s easy to ask a member of staff if you have an issue. The online world is rather different, though. Therefore, you want to pick a site that provides excellent online support. Ideally, it offers 24/7 live chat so you can reach out whenever you need.
How to win at Bingo - Strategy and Tips
Bingo is the ultimate game of chance, so there are no hard and fast playing strategies like you have with poker or blackjack. However, you can still apply a tactical approach to this activity, which may help you win at bingo more often.
Calculate the odds of winning
Understanding your chance of winning is an important bingo strategy that all players should adopt. When you enter an online bingo room, you can find out both the number of players registered and the number of cards purchased.
If, for example, there were 49 other players each with 6 tickets, and you bought 6 tickets; that gives you a 50:1 chance of winning the game. Being able to quickly calculate these odds will help you find the best games to join.
Buy more bingo cards
Buying more cards will, of course, increase your chances of winning. However, if you combine this tactic with the bingo strategy mentioned above, you will improve your win ratio.
For instance, if there are 100 players and 500 cards purchased; that means, on average, each player has five cards. You then buy more cards than the average to increase your odds of winning the main prize.
Don’t play during peak hours
When you’re playing to win, you don’t want to face too much competition. If you play during peak hours when there are hundreds or thousands of other players active, the games are often too busy, so the odds of you winning are reduced.
By playing when most others are offline, you improve your chances of victory dramatically. Furthermore, if you also consider the points above, and you select the most profitable games, you may end up winning far more often.
Free bingo games
Although free bingo games tend to be busy, it’s worth putting your name in the hat as it doesn’t cost you anything. From free bingo no deposit to daily freerolls, there are many options open to you. Also, if you can pre-book your tickets, that means you don’t need to be online to enter the game.
The guide was created by the ComeOn! Content Group for educational purposes only. At this current time, ComeOn! Canada does not offer live online bingo games. Therefore, the game information, bonuses and promotions are not offers that are available on this website.
As an online casino and sportsbook, we do have our own casino bonuses, free spins offers and loads of sports betting promotions. Furthermore, our library of video slots, and card games is one of the best you’ll find online.
Comeon Content Group
The goal of the Comeon Content Group is to create the gaming market's best guides. With many years of experience in igaming, I have succeeded in building a team that works together to make this possible.